National Workshop on the European Student Identifier
As requested by Swiss universities, SWITCH organizes and hosts a national workshop with the aim to develop a common perspective for the European Student Identifier (ESI) in Switzerland. The scope of the workshop is to clarify administrative processes for incoming and outgoing students. Technological aspects might come up, but are not in the focus.
Date and Location
Thursday March 2nd, from 13:30 to 16:00
- Roundtable: quick introduction of participants
- Héloïse Perrin, Movetia
ESCI - Political Context (~15min)
- Christoph Graf, SWITCH
A Journey from our Values to ESI (~15min)
- Participating Universities (see table below):
Present student mobility plans that potentially involve ESI usage (~5-10min each University)
- Rolf Brugger, SWITCH
Current state of ESI implementation in SWITCH edu-ID (~10min)
- Identify areas of interest
- Identify tasks for next steps
- To address tasks, identify volunteers or existing structures
Invited / Participating Universities
|University||participating||will present ESI
plans of university
|ETH Zürich||DK, SM||CF, AR, AY|
|HSLU||SS, JK, BP, RS|
|SWITCH||CG, RB, TB|
|Uni Basel||NH, GZ, UK, AK|
|Uni Bern||MW, MP, PS, FC, CH||Presentation|
|Uni Fribourg||VF, NM|
|Uni Genève||DS, PR, VC||√|
|Uni Lausanne||FA, MP, SK|
|Uni St. Gallen||AH, PW, MB, MP|
|Uni Svizzera Italiana||GTC, MF, IJ||√|
|Uni Zürich||AS, AW||GK, MK, RM||Presentation|
We ask the participating organizations to use their network and to make colleagues from other universities aware of the workshop. The workshop is intended for student mobility offices at EPFL, ETHZ, cantonal universities, universities of applied science and universities for teacher education.
For questions or feedback about this event contact email@example.com.
Meeting summary and follow-up
A detailed protocol was prepared and sent to the participants via email. Here is a summary of the most important outcomes of the workshop:
- numerous university mobility offices see a potential in ESI and would like to implement it as soon as possible.
- IT services are interested in a sustainable and resource-saving implementation.
- There is still no consensus on how the ESI should be implemented: 3 universities prefer an ESI with a national scope, while the others have not expressed an opinion or would first like to think about it in more detail.
- The question of implementation is to be examined in greater depth in a working group, and a proposal is to be drawn up. SWITCH will organize this working group and send out invitations to the workshop participants.